11 comments for “Dish Antenna Build Update: December 8, 2012

1. Avatar of Matteo Spinelli
    December 9, 2012 at 3:26 am

great work Chris!
    This is such a great project, I wish I could help you in some way.

2. Avatar of john
    December 9, 2012 at 8:51 am

yes awesome and i see some pretty hard wood profiles going on there also i wish i could also help somehow i do have
    access to a cnc everyday at work that icould mill something that is hard todo by hand :)

3. Avatar of Chris Lee
    December 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Thanks. I would definitely like to talk about cnc cutting some parts.

4. Avatar of john
    December 11, 2012 at 5:12 am

cool shout anytime maybe we can work something out i live in central florida shipping something would be the bggest thing probably

5. Avatar of Greg Dietrich
    December 12, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hi J,

Your offer to CNC is very gracious! Thank you very much. How thick / thin can your CNC cut? We’re planning a 1/12th scale MF to use as a working reference model and think a CNC would be perfect for the framing and other misc parts. What are your thoughts?

6. Avatar of john
    December 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm

i have done lots of stuff on it it is a masterwood machine i cut 3/4 all the time in depth.i do radius alot all kinds of stuff really i draw it then add machinings to the image it does not have z axis movable as in tilting the router bits to angles straight 90 degrees is all i do have z axis in up and down variable and can cut like 36 inches wide maybe more by pretty long 8 feet for sure. i dont know the max depth thickness and it will go as thin as thin can get probably :) let me know what you have in mind i can import dxf files into it and creat machings from that if you have the image of what you want let me know moe in detail

7. Avatar of john
    December 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm

as far as other framing stuff as i have seen so far mostly out of sheet goods like plywood or plastic or some other stuff should be no issue i have a pretty good selection of router bits already chucked up in the auto table already for use i use it everyday for comercial cabinetry and i am the operator of it and have premission to use it in my spare time for my own needs as i think they like me to be able to draw on it and write programs the more the better practice makes perfect lol

8. Avatar of Greg Dietrich
    December 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm

FANTASTIC! Forgive my ignornace… I’m assuming you use a CAD based application to cut all the predesigned shapes?

9. Avatar of Greg Dietrich
    December 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hey C,

What are plans to mount the dish to the “arm”? Will you be using steel or alluminum?

10. Avatar of Chris Lee
    December 14, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Probably steel.

11. Avatar of Greg Dietrich
    March 4, 2013 at 7:41 am

Hey C,

Any updates to the dish?

Add Comment Register