MF Escape Pods – group design?

Hi Gang,

One element of the MF that we never saw but only heard about was the MF “escape pods” that had been jetisoned after takeoff.

Chris and I briefly touched on building an actual escape pod and placing it within the MF. My thought was it could be on the side of the MF opposite the loading ramp.  I’ve already drawn up a few concepts – see below.  We would love to see your concepts, designs, and ideas posted!

Also… when the full scale build gets rolling, do you think we should include the escape pod – one based on all of our ideas?

What do you guys think?

1 2 3

9 comments for “MF Escape Pods – group design?

1. Avatar of michael forrest
    January 10, 2013 at 3:48 am

The fact they mention it in the film means it must be added IMO. Or you have the option of leaving an empty space where it would have been. The position for the escape pod in pic 6 makes sense with it being just behind the cockpit.

Keep up the good work.

2. Avatar of michael forrest
    January 10, 2013 at 3:54 am

Just found this from that may help. Its not from the film but from the toy range

3. Avatar of Bruce Endres
    January 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Interesting

4. Avatar of Mark Elwood
    January 12, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I thought this was an interesting topic, but I didn’t know much about it. I did a lot of research today. It was fascinating and I made a blog post detailing my findings. http://livingwithstarwars.blogspot.com/2013/01/where-are-millennium-falcon-escape-pods.html

There is a lot of contradictory information, though the most recent publications seem to be consistent. They say that the escape pods are located in the engineering bay, beneath the floor and that there are 5 of them. So the traditional side mounted escape pods have been retconed I believe. We could always ask Leland Chee on Facebook. He sometimes gets back to you if he finds the topic intriguing enough.

If you decide to install escape pods at all, and I’m not convinced that you should, in my opinion the escape pods could be made as they appear in the most recent blueprints. It would basically be a trap door that lifts up revealing the top hatch of the escape pods instead of an entire section which is now just a “docking ring”

Amazing work guys!

5. Avatar of michael forrest
    January 14, 2013 at 3:15 am

The problem with not putting the escape pods in is that you will get some one ask where they are. Providing the looks dont conflict with the movie and you use some official star wars design for where they are situated, you cant go wrong.

6. Avatar of Mark Elwood
    January 15, 2013 at 8:55 am

Okay, so I think you should put them in. I think there is enough information to get a pretty good guess of how they look. I just found out that according to the Millennium Falcon Owner’s Workshop Manual (book that came out Jan 2012) there were 5 CEC Class-1 Escape Pods. (meaning they fit a single passenger) The only escape pod we really see in the movies is in A New Hope, taken by the droids to Tatooine. That escape pod is made by the same company (Corellian Engineering Corporation or CEC) and are Class-6 Escape Pods meaning up to 6 occupants. So i think that the older blueprints are “out of date” and probably need to be updated with the 5 escape pods located in the Engineering bay under the floor. I assume it would look very similar to the CEC Class-1 Escape Pods. If you look they just don’t have a lot of windows. They seem to be made to withstand a hard landing. In A New Hope there is a charred-looking crater where the droids landed on Tatooine.
    So that’s my in-universe thoughts.

I also think that because the Corellian Corvette basically started out as the Millenium Falcon before a last minute change (supposedly) I think that the artists would have made something very similar for the Falcon’s escape pods. These are the same guys that worked on both models. That’s my thoughts! I will be drawing a couple versions based on this hopefully tonight.

I previously made a blog post about this in case you missed it.

7. Avatar of Mark Elwood
    January 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Sorry to spoil this (I’m an aerospace artist actually and was getting excited about designing this as well) but I picked up the “Millennium Falcon Owner’s Workshop Manual” today and discovered that it in fact has a picture of the Millennium Falcon’s escape pods. They are sort of what I thought, scaled down versions of the one seen from the Tantive IV. Check it out! I’ve also updated my blog posting on some other findings. For instance they DID include the toys mentioned above in the book, but had them listed as “optional extras” for any YT-1300. The flying television vehicle from Marvel did not appear anywhere to my dismay. :) Pretty sweet book.

8. Avatar of Matt Pfingsten
    January 20, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I’ve always preferred the mini-pods suggested by Bob Brown’s “Ship of Riddles” site. His theory was that there were small, one-man pods barely large enough for a single occupant that were the space equivalent of a life raft, with the large Tantive IV escape pods being the equivalent of escape vessels found on cruise ships.
    He suggested that they were stored in pez-style dispensers on either side of the docking rings, and would actually be loaded into the docking ring where the escapee would climb inside before being jettisoned out the docking ring airlock.

Turning one docking ring into a dedicated escape pod zone is a bad idea, imho. Those docking rings are for loading/unloading cargo in properly equipped docking facilities. They also make great airlocks and an excellent place for launching escape vehicles.

I like the Class 1 escape pod design, and I think storing aft and fore of the docking rings/tubes and dispensing them pez style for boarding before launching them through the airlock is the best approach. You could almost certainly store two in each docking ring (4 total), and probably way more than that depending on the size of the pod and how much interior space you are willing to give up.
    I would assume that you sit in the pods the same way you sit in a sled and have a three point harness that buckles near the crotch. That would probably keep the diameter no larger than 4 feet and the length 7-8 feet.

Hopefully they should be small enough to stack them in a vertical chute and have them roll into the docking tube at deck level. The chute could also be diagonal if more room is needed.

I would figure out what the normal crew compliment of the YT-1300 is supposed to be and use that as your basis for figuring out how many should be there. I would assume at least 5, given that you have four seats in the cockpit and one at the nav station in the forward hold.

9. Avatar of Matt Pfingsten
    January 24, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Here is an illustration of the ecape pod system described above.

Add Comment Register