Exterior Detail Greeblie Modules

Build Status Forums Exterior Subassemblies Greeblies (Exterior) Exterior Detail Greeblie Modules

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Joshua Maruska Joshua Maruska 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Lee
    Keymaster

This aspect of the project looks to be the way for the most people to remotely contribute to the physical components of the ship.

We’d like to set up a system whereby an individual or group can claim a greeblie, build it at their location using the dimensions and 3d models we provide, then ship it to the build site for integration into the ship.

This will require a naming or ID convention so we can uniquely identify every greeblie or detail piece. I think we should ask the Millennium Falcon Builders Club on Yahoo Groups for permission to use their excellent system and research. They have done a wonderful and exhaustive job of identifying all of the model kit parts used on the studio scale Falcon ships used in the original films.

Since almost all of the model kits used were based on real vehicles (except for, say, Sealab…), then recreating the parts at full scale should not be out of the question. We will need to set up some basic rules for construction methods and materials requirements so that we have a uniform platform to work within.

TheSmuggler
    Participant

Chris, I think with the scale of the project you are spot on with needing an ID system.  do you, or does anyone have any contacts with the yahoo Falcon builders club?

Chris Lee
    Keymaster

I plan on contacting the group and starting that conversation.

Tyler Robbins
    Participant

I had an idea about this.

The Finemolds Millennium Falcon has some inaccuracies with the shape, but modelers agree that it’s very accurate regarding the detail parts. I’m going to buy this kit for myself because I love the Falcon, but before I build it I could take pictures of each part in standard orthographic form (top, front, side) with the part on a 1cm grid. Since the parts are all to scale it should be easy to scale them up to full size for anyone who wants to build one of the parts and send it in.

We’d need to make sure to get the exact scale of the model as compared with the full size of the FSFalcon by measuring the hull halves from bow to stern to the thousandth of an inch and then making a ratio of FMMF/FSF to establish the scale, but as I have a set of dial calipers this shouldn’t be a problem, either.

Chris Lee
    Keymaster

Tyler, that’s a great idea. As the part photos come in, we can get Stinson to adjust his 3D models accordingly.

I can set up a document here on the site where you can record the measurements and other information. We need to think about how to structure our identification and cataloguing system.

Chris Lee
    Keymaster

Before I make my attempt, are there any other people here that are members of the Millennium Falcon Builders Club ?

Greg Dietrich

C,

Have you heard from anybody?

Joshua Maruska
    Participant

I’ve been a member over there for years, but it’s pretty dead. There some good information in the archive, but there are also a lot of links to images that aren’t hosted anywhere anymore. You’ll have better luck on the RPF and the like.

J.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

1 comment for “Exterior Detail Greeblie Modules

Comments are closed.